Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Nurse Called The Lady With The Alligator Purse

This one line of the Miss Lucy nursery rhyme must have left a big impression on me in my childhood, not because I wanted to become a nurse but because I wanted to become the lady with the alligator purse. I LOVE handbags.  So much so that buying them is not enough.  I have to make them too.  (Miss Lucy had a baby...)

Now, it may seem a bit crazy to some people that I bought an armoire just to store all of my individually stuffed and dust covered collection, mind you I don't have a grand walk-in closet, or that I keep a contact sheet with pictures, names and descriptions of each bag so I can see my collection at will.  (I'm chuckling at myself).  I want them to last a long time so I can enjoy them.  To be honest, since I've been job hunting,its a bummer because I don't have a lot of opportunity to use most of them since I am interviewing, though my job hunting purse is very nice too.

Back to the handbag making.  One day, I was going through my clothes and came across this great red vinyl jacket.  I was getting rid of things that I wasn't going to wear anymore and this jacket was cool, but since I wasn't able to wear it (due to the size) and I hadn't worn it in ages, a lightbulb went off over my head and I said to myself: this would make a great handbag!

I started sketching and deconstructing the jacket in my mind.  I looked at some bags I had and thought about the steps that went into making each part.  The structure of the jacket lent itself beautifully to a shape of a modern and hip bag.  I decided to work around the structure.  The jacket was zippered and I thought that was such a neat touch.  I then took a zeam ripper and took off the arms.  I cut off the mandarin style neck.  The jacket was lined with a lime green liner, so I decided to go with it and not make a new one.  So I sewed up the bottom, made a handle using the arms of the jacket lined inside with fabric stabilizer, inserted a magnetic closure, sewed up the top of the bag also using some fabric stabilizer to give a little more structure/rigidity, made some inside pockets using extra arm material and voila! Ilana Graf Jacket Bag in Red Snakeskin Vinyl.


Front


Back


Being Modeled


I made that handbag in 2009.  A few months ago, in 2011, I made another one. This one was by far more complicated.  I had bought a black leather jacket on a trip to Spain in 2000.  The leather is soft like butter.  While looking through my closet for more potential handbags, I saw that jacket and it was a done deal.  Once again, I was inspired by the existing structure of the jacket, though this one was buttoned down instead of zippered.  I also really liked the idea of reusing/recycling materials instead of purchasing all new materials and throwing the existing jackets out.  How Green of me.

I went to JoAnn Fabrics and found some really cool buttons, some cool hardware and bought lining material, also green, some zippers and went to work.  This time around I decided to make a rolled handle (not easy!) that connected to the bag on both sides with metal rings.  I had just finished with the ottoman, so I had extra foam.  I cut a long thin rectangle and used some fabric stabilizer rolled around the foam to give it more structure.  But how to keep it from unrolling while I sewed the leather onto it?  I decided to crazy glue the roll together and it worked perfectly!  After it dried, I sewed the leather as close to the roll as possible.  I was worried what the unfinished edge would look like when I cut it off but it actually looked fantastic. Then I had to make two leather pieces to go through each loop and attach to the rolled handle.  I had to sew most of the those pieces together by hand using a leather curved needle.  I wish I had an industrial sewing machine...the things I could do with that, but I don't.  Then I made two smaller pieces that would eventually attach the rings to the inside of the bag on either side. 

Then I made the lining.  I like compartments for everything and organization in a bag, so I made three compartments, the middle one was a zippered compartment to divide the bag into two sections, with the middle section acting as a separate pouch.  Out of the two main compartments I made a zippered pocket on the back wall of the lining and in the front compartment, I made several pockets including ones for a pen, cellphone, sunglasses, ipod, etc.  This was the first time I ever sewed a zipper on anything and that was a challenge in and of itself to get it right.  Luckily, everything came together.  After the lining was finished I had to hand sew it into the top of the handbag by hand as my sewing machine couldn't handle the job.  I also, included a magnetic closure.  When all was said and done, I had my second Ilana Graf Jacket Bag in Black Leather. A little harder to see the details since the bag is black, but these should help.



Notice the handle and the buttons



Being Modeled


The Liner.  Maybe a little hard to see, but top of picture down: front compartment with pockets, middle zippered pocket as divider and back compartment with large zippered pocket.

More bags to come!

Thanks for stopping by and stay tuned for more creativity!

No comments:

Post a Comment