Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Diamonds Are My Best Friend, Forever

If you have read any of my posts thus far, I think I've made it clear that I really like bling, jewels, gems, sparklies and shiny objects in general.  Even going back to childhood, I was always very partial to them.  I'm not sure when or why that started exactly but now that I'm an adult and I have free reign over my decorating, I have felt both compelled and free to express this proclivity in full.

Let's review some of the decorating bling I have already showed you before I illustrate my point in new ways.

Here is my jeweled headboard notice the hanging ruby chandelier teardrop:


Perhaps you will recall my bowl of crystal paperweights in all types of gemstone cuts:


How about the Bling Frame mounted over my couch:


The crystal finials for my new curtains, not to mention the silver sequin curtains:


This could go on and on...

Alright, I know you want me to keep going, so here are some new things you haven't seen.  In my new place, I have a couple of bifold closets.  Another opportunity to add bling!  Really nice crystal pulls are very expensive.  I'm a woman with a budget, so I got creative.  In one word:  Ebay.  I found these awesome pulls from ebay.  The only problem is that they came with european size screws (millimeters) and they weren't long enough.  I went to Home Depot but they didn't have the size I needed. Long story short, this nice man from a local hardware store re-threaded the pulls, which I didn't know you could do, so that they fit US size screws.  Great guy.  Because the crystal is surrounded by the silver metal, the light refracts like a diamond instead of passing through like with a clear crystal.  It's hard to capture the full beauty of these pulls in pictures so I am including the ebay picture too.


In my red bedroom on my closet doors and because I only needed two, I splurged and got these red crystal pulls from Klaffs:





In my old apartment in NYC, I had a bowl of acrylic gemstones.  I was at Disney and they had an Aladdin shop, not sure if its there anymore, and they had a bin full of acrylic gemstones and you could buy a little pouch of them.  I didn't buy them there, but that sight stuck with me.  I wanted my own treasure!  I thought they would be easy to find online but I could only find the gems that were flat on one side and often they had holes drilled in them.  I went to the bead and trim district in NYC and went store to store until I found the mother load. I bought a whole bunch of different colors and different sizes. I pretty much cleared them out.  Here's what they looked like in my old apartment.  Excuse the dust.



Wow, that is a lot of dust.  I had all sorts of ideas of putting the gems in between two pieces of glass and hanging it so the light would pass through the gems.  I thought about using epoxy resin or some clear substance to pour over the gems and to suspend the gems in a lucite type of piece.  I searched for a rectangular vase that was very slim but ended up finding this cute vase from Crate and Barrel.  This is what the acrylic gems are up to now.





I have crystal lamps, rhinestone picture frames, a bling mirror on my dining room wall and more.  I have to save some for later postings but I'll give you a few more visuals.







Thanks for stopping by and Stay tuned for more creativity!

1 comment:

  1. An anonymous commenter posted this comment that I accidently deleted:

    "I'm impressed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that's both educative and amusing,and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head."

    Thanks for your encouraging comment!

    ReplyDelete