Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Itch To Knit or Tis The Season To Be Knitting, Fa La La...

It's that time of the year again.  Like clockwork, when the weather starts to cool and I get bored of playing solitaire and checking facebook on the daily train commute which I did all the hot summer long, I get the itch to start knitting again. 

I know I always say the same thing - "if you know me by now...."   In this circumstance, I am going to say: if you know me by now, you will know that I can't just work on one knitting project.  Of course, I have to be working on two things at the same time. 

It all started when I was in Michael's looking for something and they had their Halloween decorations out so I was walking around the store.  I ended up in the yarn section and saw this really cool multi textured, multi colored yarn that I had to have.  The yarn is called Red Heart Boutique Magical and the two colors that I couldn't live without are called Top Hat and Fortune Teller.  Here is Fortune Teller which is mostly purple with red highlights and more.  I am making an eternity scarf or a circular scarf that I will be able to wrap around my neck a few times.  I'm almost done! 




See the picture on the yarn wrapper in the first pic? Red Heart calls it the "So Cozy Warmer" and it's a pull on wrap. I am making it in the Top Hat color which is black with all kinds of colors - a picture would illustrate it better - see below.  I followed the directions and when I was finished with the piece, I decided it was too short, so I'm working on making it longer.


I hope to finish this soon, though I came across a little problem.  I knitted another piece and I used the mattress stitch to put the two pieces together with an invisible seam.  It looked really great, but when I tried it on, I realized that the starting row of the original piece (which is the bottom of the original wrap) is too tight.  So I had to take out the mattress stitch (such a waste of good knitting time) and I think I'm going to try to stretch the yarn out with steam.  Otherwise, I might have to either leave it short and use it as a cowl neck scarf or I don't know....  It looks pretty cool the way it is, but I really want it to be longer.  Plus, it's a waste of yarn if I don't use the second piece.  I'm sure I could do something with it though.

Here are some fun close-up yarn pics:


 





Thank for stopping by and Stay tuned for more creativity!

2 comments:

  1. I never heard of a mattress stitch, only know knit and purl. Will have to look that one up. These colors are great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of great you tube videos on the mattress stitch.

      Delete